American Artist Reflection

In Alex Greenberg's article, "Black and Blue: American Artist is Redefining How We Think About Race in the Digital Age, viewers are introduced to a new perspective that analyzes the american dream. I believe that the physical alteration of American Artist’s name is rather clever. Personally, when I hear the term ‘american artist’ I think of Andy Warhol and Jean Michel, and most other male artists in New York during the 60s. It is strange how this ideology persists even when I attend an art school with a female majority. 
Though I believe American Artist has numerous interesting ideas, albeit some strange and exaggerated in my opinion,  I think the most compelling statement he made was about the Blue vs. Black Lives Matter movements. In a previous show Artist had stated,

“It’s (the BlueLM movement) basically a response to police feeling like they’re being targeted, and that came up after the Black Lives Matter movement. They felt threatened, as if people are hunting them. That raises questions about identity in general—how you can identify as blue, which is not anyone’s actual identity?”

I think this point is extremely powerful because police forces seem to be awakening to a feeling that african americans have felt their entire lives. 
Artist's connection to his name and his work, as well as his race, all seem to fall into sync to produce his ideas visually. Though I think the name bit was a more of a show piece, I believe Artist has pushed personal boundaries and allowed others into his day to day experience.

Comments

Popular Posts