Project #2. Vinyl Intervention: Photographs and Reflection




  1. In what way did you change your process to make a piece that was site specific? 
Based off photos I had taken within the school lobby in the past, I decided to play off the light that floods the doors and surrounding windows. This piece was challenging in a sense because I was creating a design that's outcome was to be determined. I had an idea of how it would look at a certain time, but was rather unaware of what it would look like outside of those boundaries. I would say I changed my process, or maybe furthered is a better word, in terms of preparation. Attending Tyler has opened my world to a continuous process of patience and preparation. I used to make many pieces without any planning, and often my outcomes would be still and uninspiring. I enjoyed this piece because it prompted me to think about a before, middle and end. 
  1. How did you challenge yourself creatively, conceptually and/or technically in the making of this piece? If you did not feel challenged is there something you would do differently if you were to do it again?
I would say I challenged myself by keeping the design rather minimal. Normally I enjoy art with fine detail, but I recognized early on that a piece like that would present complications as a vinyl cutout. A challenge I wish I had pushed further would have been the phrasing of the quote. I agree with what Demi said about the ambiguity of the piece, and believe if I had changed the message slightly I could have pushed the meaning. 
  1. Were there elements that made the completion of this piece either more difficult or felt not challenging enough?
I think the element of trying to capture light correctly made this piece hard for me to accomplish. In AI I had a lot of trouble making the letters negative, this was frustrating because I was missing small, mechanical solutions. We had talked about how maybe the circle didn't convey the message of a sun, but I am glad I didn't push that shape into a more literal representation of a sun, for I don't think it would have fit into the design. 
  1. Reflect on the critique and consider how your experience was different from the first: was the feedback you received helpful? Be specific about why or why not.
This critique was far more helpful. I think my classmates started to feel more comfortable with sharing and recognize that the more feedback the merrier, even if that feedback isn't necessarily praise. I liked the 3 questions from the first critique, but also felt as though they were a little restrictive compared to our second critique. Everyones thoughts seemed to flow more smoothly having eliminated the boundaries of the question. 
  1. Please share any other thoughts.
I enjoyed created this piece and am happy to have had the chance to practice vinyl cutting. 

Comments

Popular Posts